Monday, April 30, 2012

Almost There

We drove from Cheyenne to Lincoln, Nebraska and then to Amana, Iowa without any major issues. The weather was amazing until we got to Nebraska, other than the wind on the highway. It's been rainy and cold here in Iowa. We have electric hooks though and two powerful space heaters, so we've been staying nice and warm. The driving has been going well. Ben usually leads with the truck and trailer and I follow with the Escape and the dogs. We find places to stop and run the dogs, but generally we stop as little as possible. I'm almost done listening to the 3rd book of the Hunger Games...that's a lot of driving time! There's been a cold that has passed between everyone in our family. I thought it was so great that I didn't get it. I held out for a long time, but it hit me hard. I'm trying to sleep a lot and take it easy.

Just when I was so sick of driving, we stopped in Amana for 3 days for a flyball tournament. It was awesome! We had lots of fun and the camping was great with full hookups. They even had inexpensive breakfast and lunch to buy. The Amana Colonies happens to be a tourist attraction, with lots of restaurants and shops with handmade goods. It was originally a self-sufficient religious, German colony. Our extent of the experience was going to the Ox Yoke Inn for some German food. The food was very good, aside from the peanut butter chocolate pie that was most definitely pudding pie and our extremely overly attentive waitress. I'd love to go back and check out the furniture shops and wineries. On Sunday night we met up with my friend Amy from nutrition school for dinner at a gourmet restaurant in Cedar Rapids, called Class Act. It was fun to catch up and have some time away from the trailer!


The Ox Yoke Inn
 

A generous flyballer made us a few cocktails




 Ben had a Walking Taco for Lunch. It's a bag of crushed up doritos with ground beef, cheese and lettuce. Apparently a popular midwest food that I had never heard of!



Today we had a long drive from Amana to a campground near Toledo, Ohio. Even with a three day break, it was a long, tiring day. I am ready to be done with this drive and get to Massachusetts. We are in desperate need of clean laundry and groceries. Tomorrow we are driving to Upstate New York. I cannot wait to see Finley. We miss her so much, but she is handling the situation as if nothing happened. We talk to her every night and she sounds very happy. She is sleeping and eating a lot as usual and enjoying undivided attention from her Gran and Pop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment