Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Birth Story and first few days at home.

We got home from the hospital on Sunday afternoon. Much better experience than when I had Finley. I got there at 10 am on Wednesday morning and they started an IV (ouch! more painful than the spinal injection) with fluids and spent some time monitoring the baby with a non-stress test. We answered tons of questions about medical history. Got the results of my labs and then we waited a bit for anesthesia to get there. The anesthesiologist didn't want to do the c-section because I had a cold and was worried about respiratory issues. Luckily my Ob wasn't too worried about doing it. It's not the kind of surgery you can put off for a week or two. By around 12:30 they took me into the Operating Room and gave me the spinal block. It was just a minute or two before I was totally numb. They do a test to make sure I can't feel anything and then they start working on getting the baby out. Our baby was completely unengaged and way up high, facing up. I heard the Dr say that she wouldn't have come out vaginally, so that made me feel better about having the c-section. She was so unengaged that the Dr needed to use a vacuum to get her out. I was nauseated in the same way I was with Finley, but they were able to give me Zofran in my IV and stop me from vomiting. Other than nausea I had very little discomfort during the surgery.

Rowan Iris was born at 12:58 pm, 6 lbs 13 oz, 21" long and perfectly healthy. They took us all back to our room. We were there for a short time and I was able to hold Rowan for the first time and start breastfeeding her right away. Then we went to the recovery room, where we spent the next few days. It took several hours before I could move my legs again. We were up most of the night, mainly because we were excited and well rested. My only issue on the first day was that the Morphine PCA they gave me did absolutely nothing for my pain and I was really hungry. I was allowed to eat that night and got my catheter and IV out the next day or was it the following morning? I don't remember. Once we got a sleeping, pain medicine and eating schedule worked out....we were doing pretty well. Rowan was sleeping in the nursery all night for 3 hour chunks of time while Ben and I slept. I got up for meds and nursing and went right back to sleep. My milk came in after just 2 days and now I have way too much. I haven't started pumping yet because I despise pumping!

We were a little bit worried about Rowan having a bit of jaundice, but her bilirubin levels never went high enough to be a concern for phototherapy. We were both discharged in very good condition.

Now that we are home, we are having an adjustment period and it's tough. Rowan isn't as good of a sleeper as she was at the hospital. Or I should say, not as good at night. She is wide awake at night! An excellent sleeper during the day. We haven't worked out a schedule yet for sleeping, so we've both been getting just a few hours of sleep every night. Between watching Finley, the dogs and keeping up with the house...we haven't been able to find much time to nap.

Just got back to finish this post..It's one day later and Rowan slept last night! It was awesome. I was just up to feed her and then back to bed. Three hours at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment