Friday, March 9, 2012

our life in massachusetts

We have been planning this move for a long time. We've wanted to more space and a change of scenery and ever since I went to Massachusetts for my internship, it seemed like we could find what we want there. Now that Ben has been accepted to Veterinary school, passed his Masters in Wildlife at UW and my temporary job is over, it feels like we are already there mentally.

Our plan is to rent a place for a few months and learn the area and find exactly where we want to live. We want something that is rural, but with a downtown nearby. My ideal home will be an old farm that is in decent enough condition that we can move in and not have to remodel until Ben is done with school. It's important that it's in a farming area at least and has some outbuildings and is mostly flat. 

I want to start with chickens and ducks, but would eventually like to get some more animals for food. We haven't decided quite yet, but we are sure we don't want goats or anything that needs to be milked. But like I said, we will start with chickens and ducks and see how it goes. I also want space to plant an orchard and have large garden plots with enough space to plant edible perennials and medicinal plants.

While Ben is in school, I haven't yet decided what I want to do. I plan to work as a dietitian, but I've also been building my skills in dog training and am interested in dog massage, ttouch and more advanced training techniques. I would ultimately like to have my own training facility with a pool for conditioning and rehab and a variety of training programs. Of course it would have to be big enough for flyball!

We decided to name our future farm Spectrum Farm, which is the same name we chose for our dog kennel. This blog, just like "Our Life in Seattle" will be a record of Finley growing up, recipes, travels and projects we are working on. We have a lot of changes coming up and we are excited to share our stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment